Resolutions Are Horse Feathers

by Alicia Arenas on December 30, 2009

Last week, Michael Long, aka The Red Recruiter posted this very interesting tweet:

Twitter Post - 2Everywhere you turn, especially at this time of year, there are a million posts about making and keeping New Year’s resolutions. Personally, I think most of it is a bunch of hooey like “visualize your success” and “strive for goal congruity.” What I like about Michael’s tweet is that he gives us a different take on setting and achieving goals. Setting and achieving goals is far more important than creating a full-page list of how you are going to radically change eight year’s worth of behavior before February 1st.

Three Ways to Achieve Your Business Goals

If you want to move your business forward in 2010, here are three simple tips:

1. Be A Rubber Band

Rubber bands are pliable, they stretch. But stretch a rubber band too far and it snaps – and it hurts!  Doing eight times as much revenue per month over what you’re doing now is not realistic. You will snap and hurt yourself or someone else. So be like a rubber band and gently stretch yourself beyond what you’re achieving right now.

2. Be Like Weight Watchers

Why does Weight Watcher’s work? Because members know that every week they are going to stand on a scale in front of lots of people watching how much they lost or gained. The chances that you will reach your goals increases substantially when you have one or more people to help hold you accountable. (Gretchen Rubin, author of the book and blog “The Happiness Project” has a great article on accountability here.)

• Some people use coaches which is a great idea! (I’m not biased at all :-) )
  • Some people participate in a formal mastermind group. I use a less formal approach. I’m blessed to have several friends who I trust and with whom I meet regularly. We encourage each other in our businesses. But I know if I  haven’t reached a goal or gone in the wrong direction, I’m going to hear about it!
  • There is an even more radical approach to accountability. Todd Shnick is training for a 1/2 marathon and has created a blog detailing each step of his journey. He’s set a goal and made it public; the whole world is keeping him accountable.

Aliens-Weaver_l3. Be Like Ripley

Remember the movie Aliens? Even though Sigourney Weaver’s character had a less than .01 chance of escaping the terrifying, acid for blood, double jawed, razor tailed aliens, she kept going. When the militia team was getting killed around her, when the “good guy” locked her in a room with a determined, tentacled egg layer, when she thought she was home safe and… you get the idea.

In business, you are going to be attacked, you are going to be betrayed and when you do find a way to reach your ultimate goal (getting off planet in Ripley’s case), you’re going to have to crawl through a bunch of ducts to do it. So be like Ripley and stick to the end game – no matter what.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 2 trackbacks }

The Intrepid Runner
January 1, 2010 at 8:18 am
You Need A Business Butt Kicking Part 1 « Reblogger Memo Links
March 30, 2010 at 11:21 am

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Pattie Porter December 30, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I love the idea of keeping it simple and realistic. I can only pray to have the same courage and fearless drive that Ripley had in surviving her alien world. Happy New Year!

Michael Long (The Red Recruiter) December 30, 2009 at 9:57 pm

I’m glad that the tweet got you thinking!

You made some excellent points Alicia! Thanks for sharing ;-)

Michael

Todd Schnick December 31, 2009 at 5:44 am

I love point one about being a rubber band. So many people don’t make resolutions, or even goals, and so many small business people don’t make business plans – because they fear they are now locked into a certain course of action.

It is ok to be pliable and stretch to adjust to the environment. In fact, having a plan/resolution in place in the first place – makes it much easier to make mid-course corrections.

Thanks for the post!

Alicia Arenas December 31, 2009 at 8:09 am

Pattie – Yes! I saw Aliens when I was young. It scared the heck out of me, but Sigourney Weaver’s character inspired me. She was one of Hollywood’s first, serious female heroines. Plus – she kicks butt!

Michael – Thank you for the inspiration.You were definitely my blog post muse for this one!

Todd – Thanks for being part of the conversation! I admire your guts in publishing your 1/2 marathon journey to the world. You’re right, having a strategic plan makes it easier to get ourselves back on track. Happy New Year!

Steve-Personal Success Factors January 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Alicia, have I ever told you your blog is beautiful? It truly is! I love the imaginative and witty way that you presented goal setting. This article is good for a Digg and an RT :) I’ll be keeping this article in mind as I set forth on the New Year :)

Alicia Arenas January 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Hi Steve! Thank you for your comment. I’m glad that you found it to be entertaining and useful. That is always the goal! Have a fantastic 2010!